Monday, November 3, 2014

Don't envy others, just do your own thing

A good friend approached me recently to assist her in her growing business. She wanted me to be the person to maintain her social network accounts because she couldn't handle it herself because she spend so much time dealing with customers and suppliers. You know what she's selling? GOLD. Yeah your read it right. She is selling 916 gold jewelry on installment basis and she gets some commission when she sold something. And her business is flourishing and she is thinking to expand it to include order from overseas. Though I feel happy that she is doing so well a tiny part of me envy her. I don't know why but somehow I don't feel quite okay when she told me all these as if it makes me look inferior and all the work I did to supplement some income pales in comparison. I know it sounds stupid but I feel somehow cheated. I know this negative feeling is bad for me therefore I decided not to stay too long in that pity party. I surfed the internet to find some motivation and encouragement to get over my envy. So I found this article...16 Things Emotionally Strong People Don't Do.

There's a quote I like in point no. 5:
True confidence has no room for envy and resentment.  When you know you are great, you have no reason to hate.
So true. Why do I allow myself feeling this way? Is it doing something good to me? Of course NOT. Why spend my precious time on envying others? What good will I get? NOTHING.

Hence I decided to quit thinking too much about other people's blessings or comparing my blessings to others and use that time to just get busy with my own thing...including maintaining this blog and my website.

As for the work that she wanted me to do, we haven't reach a workable deal yet due to my time constraint but I don't mind doing the job for her if she is willing to compromise and allow me to do it within my time limitation. I did told her how many hours I could spare to complete the task. It means extra income for us. But if she decided am not the person for the job (due to my limited time), I am okay with it too. Hey, I appreciate it that she approached me at the first place but I couldn't stretch myself too thin - I still need to homeschool my daughter and work on my online business. Those things need my attention and top priority.

Image credit: pixabay.com. Used with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...